“I always wanted you to write a book called 'and now let us enjoy'. . .”
Carolyn DeFir to ö-Sel Nyima
Let us enjoy . . .
The Feldenkrais Method® of Somatic Education
- suitable for people of any age and ability who wish to reconnect to their natural ability to move, think and feel
What Is It?
The Feldenkrais® Method is a way of learning that uses awareness, sensation, imagination and movement. It has been around for 60 years and has helped millions of people recover function after illness, injury and trauma. Learning to move makes daily life easier and because the Method focuses on the relationship between movement and thought, increased mental awareness and creativity accompany physical improvements.
“Feldenkrais transformed my life. After decades of debilitating pain and
running to various healers, I now move more comfortably and live without
fear of my spine going out. I am grateful to Moshe Feldenkrais
Mary V. Gellinas, Ed.P, Educator, Consultant, Author
What I can give to you:
one-to-one sessions called Functional Integration® Lessons (fully
clothed, on a table / bed, chair or standing,
- group sessions called Awareness Through Movement® Classes
intensive 3-5 hours of several ATM classes to work on a specific area of
“Dear ö-Sel, ever since you began making your early morning visits to
teach Feldenkrais to my
Kate and Joel Wechsler
Who can enjoy Feldenkrais?
- young people who want to improve their self-image by learning to move easily and with elegance
- seniors wishing to regain or retain physical health and comfort
- those experiencing chronic or acute pain, central nervous system conditions such as multiple sclerosis, cerebral palsy and stroke
- dancers, musicians, artists, runners, horseriders, singers – anyone who wishes to improve their performance, extend their abilities and recover from performance-related injuries and pain
- anyone who needs to reduce stress, tension, increase their range of motion, improve flexibility and coordination and rediscover their innate capacity for graceful, efficient and optimal movement
Examples of workshops
Walking / Feet and Ankles
Knees and Hips
Shoulders / Arms and Hands
Repetitive Strain Injuries
TMJ / Jaw Pain and Tension – freeing the face of strain; the natural facelift
Breathing (for everyone)
How are we trained?
A Feldenkrais teacher is trained in movement sciences, physics, biomechanics, human development, neuroscience and psychology. The Method is recognized for its extraordinary power to access the nervous system, to initiate change and improvement for anyone of any age.
How was the Feldenkrais Method® developed?
Moshe Feldenkrais, D.Sc. (1904-1984) was an engineer, physicist and martial arts expert. Drawing on his extensive knowledge of these fields as well as linguistics, biology, perinatal development and athletics, Dr. Feldenkrais avoided surgery and taught himself to walk again after a severe knee injury. This event was the catalyst for the development of the Feldenkrais Method®.
“What I’m after isn’t flexible bodies but flexible brains. What I’m after
is to restore
Feldenkrais,® Feldenkrais Method,® Awareness Through Movement,® and Functional Integration® are registered service marks; Guild Certified Feldenkrais Practitioner(CM) and Guild Certified Feldenkrais Teacher® are certification marks of the Feldenkrais Guild® of North America.
Feldenkrais® photograph (2nd from left) by Rosalie O'Connor
© 2011 ö-Sel Nyima